Monday, February 14, 2011

Santa Lucia Milpa Altos

Santa Lucia Milpas Altos, Guatemala.  2000 meters (6500 ft above Sea Level.  Now I understand why I was so out of breath climing what  thought was a little hill, I just came from a month or two
 living at sea level to over a mile high.
Here's a link to a google earth picture of my neck of the woods for 4 weeks.  Santa Lucia Milpas Altas, Guatemala I 

I am located in what appears to be a shadow above the "A" where the houses end and the mountains begin.

Here is a portion of my Journal with a few pictures. Next trip to Antigua I will elaborate:








The Journey here – Long but uneventful, fortune was with me, thank God for the two other gringos that arrived on the same flight. I figured I would be on a plane full of tourists and that there would be dozens of shuttles to Antigua. On the plane I saw only Hispanic people, and everyone I talked to had a ride (to somewhere else),  I realized that there may not be a shuttle to Antigua. The thought of riding the public bus for two or three hours after no sleep was not appealing to me at all.  Any of you who have ridden the “chicken busses” here in Guatemala will understand. Luckily there were two young Americans I did not see on the plane that had secured a shuttle which I tagged along on for only ten dollars. It cost me about 8 bucks more than the chicken bus, I got there three times as fast in luxury – TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Introducing the Family

The house from up on the mountain

Close up from the same place

It took a few days to acclimate but since then Jacques and I have been working every day as Brigitte’s live in “Mr. fix it guys”  Since that is what we both love doing, esta vida perfecto!!.
Two years ago Brigitte and family were in a rented house, she has just moved into this beautiful house she designed and built on her own.  (That is another story I would like to elaborate on)




For those of you who did not follow my journal last time I was here (or don’t remember) (we are prone to more and more “senior” moments these days.):
  Brigitte is a wonderful young lady from Holland who hosted me last time I was in Guatemala. She has lived here most of her adult life, and does very meaningful work in the areas of sustainable farming and cultural preservation.  She is the director for Solidaridad in Central America, look here (  http://www.solidaridadnetwork.org/   ) if you would like to learn more. Living here is Joris, Brigitte’s son, Clara and her two children (Brigitteteke, and Alex.)(Brigitteteke is a name derived from a combination of Spanish and the Dutch dialect of Mestreechs) Sometimes Clara’s husband Axel is here, he works on an avacodo farm on the other side of the mountain.. Clara and Axel are an indigenous Mayan family that live in a very symbiotic way with Brigitte) Add to that Jacque, Brigitte’s father who visits for a few months every winter and myself and the house is almost full.
Yikes, I almost forgot the most important residents Vadel, Pluma and Trueno caballos extraordinaire. (The horses don’t actually live in the house). I think it would be safe to say the Brigitte lives for her horses. 
 
The whole family was called away unexpectedly for a funeral today, and I am honoured that she has trusted me to care for her loved ones.  But I digress, for I have not finished introducing you to my Guatemala family. Three cats also live here, (forgotten their names) and Lennon the mellowest Basset Hound I have ever met.
Casa de Brigitte y master Lennon
 MORE SOON I HOPE...............
(I am have a bit too much fun to be wanting to hang out with a computer.


Peace
Ken

Alex and Lennon

Jacques, Brigitteteke, Alex y Yo having too much fun for the camera to focus on

No comments:

Post a Comment