Saturday, October 12, 2013

Yikes Day 5 already. 

Way too much to report in one post!

Landed at Logan International Airport at 5 on Monday October 7th, and thanks to great directions and an awesome transit system I was sitting in Chris and Chris's kitchen having a drink with them at 6:15. (Don't get confused, Chris Farrow, my cousin married Chris Noble) They live in Cambridge MA.  just a few blocks from Porter Square. Not sure if I mentioned this, but I planned my trip around an invitation to join them at their home in Maine for a week, and we left the next day so, not too many Cambridge stories from me.  I did have a nice walk around the block with Ana (their Golden Retriever) and got a few pictures from the great neighborhood they live in.  Lot's of old restored historic houses.
 There is a story behind this beautifully restored house. Chris has been walking by this house for 20 years and never seen any sign of life except a light in the caretakers quarters. Rumour has it it is owned by a London partner at Goldman Sachs. I think it is really sweet of him  (or her) to keep it so I could get this photo. Whos says them rich people never do anything nice just for the neighborhood folk.

We left Tuesday for Maine, had a pleasant ? 5hr.?  drive to their little piece of heaven in Downeast Maine.

Lunch Stop in Freeport The first of many harbors to be experienced in Maine








Pictured above my first morning Alices Field.  Pictures of the house coming up, but first a glimpse of what waking up that first morning was like. There was frost in the field, but totally calm and not cold at all. Pictured is the Bagaduce River which is tidal water with only a few feet of tidal change here. My host along with their partners on the land own the little island, (Parker Island) and there is an awesome stream running through the property (Parker Creek).  You guessed it, the Parkers had a Homestead nearby.

Chris and Chris have a charmed lifestyle,  dividing their time between this country paradise and their modest home in Cambridge (Which is walking distance from Boston Square and Harvard)  Visiting friends family around the globe is also a major part of their agenda. Among their passions -  gourmet cooking - they are both awesome cooks ---poor me!
How many people do you know who have their own Labyrinth in their yard, I only know one, My cousin Chris. The field was just recently mowed and we had to rake the chaff away to find it. 

Below me and Chris at another harbor location 


Chris and Chris at Buck Harbor Market
Great Lunch! I hear they have a resident gourmet cook.


 A few more pictures from around their house





A quick disclaimer.  I accidently had my camera set to a higher exposure and I needed to tweak the settings to bring the colors back. The fall colors are not quite peaking yet, beautiful none the less.
No color tweaking here.  I scaled one of the local mountains Blue Hill Mountain. I don't know if "scaled" is the right word for a mountain of this size (about 934ft.) but it was a great hike with some awesome views.

5 comments:

  1. Oh what beautiful pictures!! I'm so glad you went so I can appreciate the beauty with you. It looks like it has been sunny and clear there. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken, How fun it has been to have you here for all these adventures. Maybe your stay will open the door to other Caslers following soon? Great photos -- it makes me appreciate all that is here. Your first morning fog is especially unique. Love -- come again! Your cousin always, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ken,
    Thanks for the great pictures! Wow, that looks like a great spot to visit!
    Love (from another cousin),
    Rick Voreck

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL, KEN!
    what exquisite images to share of the fall colors of new england... WOW!! moved from Within!
    with love
    Elissabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the pictures and your telling so much! Especially liked the early morning fog pictures, gorgeous. Wonderful that you're sharing your experience with all of us.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete