Monday, November 11, 2013

Goodbye rural America -- Hello Big Apple


It was hard for me to leave my new found (actually long lost) family in Sparta but I only had 4 days left on the east coast, and I was looking forward to getting reacquainted with my cousin Marilyn who I have not seen for 50 years. So it was off to Jersey City via the Newark Airport where I dropped off my rental car. One thing I love about my city dwelling friends (or most of them) is that I can use public transit to get to them and to get around. I wish we had those options in Idaho, but I guess you need a city bigger than Sandpoint to warrant a mass transit system.

I have heard the term "brownstone" but really had no idea what it was.  For other city neophytes I will explain, and maybe one of my kind readers who knows more than me can fill me in on what I am missing or getting wrong.  I think a brownstone is referring to the type of brick that is used for these buildings.
They also seem to follow the rule that they sit side by side and they are all 3 story buildings (4 story actually, counting the basement which is usually occupied. Marilyn and Eric's has gone through several changes over the years, but it is very roomy and extremely comfortable. High ceilings, the second and third floors had two large bedrooms each, actually the top level had Eric and Marilyn's bedroom and an awesome art studio overlooking the street.


The first thing Marilyn showed me was their garden in the back, and it was way more prolific than the huge garden space I am beginning to develop in Idaho.
This is not their garden, I did not get a picture of that, this is a park a few blocks away with an awesome rose garden.













 Liberty Park in New Jersey





We took a walk to Liberty Park, I think you can guess how it got it's name. Great views of the NYC skyline including the new Freedom Tower right across the Hudson River.



 I loved the marina most however.



Ken's Marine Service 
One of the best marinas for the sailing community.  head out of the harbor, turn right and you are in the Atlantic

 I did not see any houseboats, but there are lot's of people living on their sailboats here. Ironically, I thought to rent a berth big enough for the Bountiful it would be way more expensive than Lake Pend Oreille in Idaho, but I was wrong. One of the workers at the marina told me I could get a berth and live within spitting distance of New York City for $5k a year.  I don't think I would survive the voyage, so I think I will remain the gypsy on Lake Pend Oreille.

Below a few more pictures from Liberty Park


Ellis Island 
My grandmother's father landed here.

Lady Liberty's Backside
My Cousin Marilyn
My gracious guide for the day in the City
It was a windy day, she probably won't forgive me for publishing this photo.
Last but not least --  What the heck is this???
Not sure what it is.  A float for a parade?  I would love to hear the story behind it.

NYC city was awesome! Marilyn was the perfect tour guide we went to the Museum of Modern Art which was way cool but I think the highlight for me was just people and building watching. One big surprise for me was after coming out of the Subway in Manhattan the first business I recognized (beside McDonalds) was a Home Depot right in the middle of the City. There was nobody walking out the door with 2X4's over their shoulder and hailing a taxi, then again there's not too much new construction in Manhattan that is "owner built".

I took a bunch of pictures at Moma (The Museum of Modern Art) but I used the camera they provided which is very cool.  After you leave, they send an e-mail with all the places you visited along with the audio explanations. Check out the link below if you are interested in this cool system:  http://www.moma.org/path/ken's day at Moma


Stumbled upon this and had to stop to add our wishes




We had a cup of coffee and then took a walk on the High Line
(Pictured in the background, and below)
 It's a very cool park that used to be an elevated freight railway, local conservation groups saved it from demolition and created a cool park running through Manhattan.
They are building skyscrapers all around it but it's cool that this space was preserved for the public.


From Elevated to Subterranean, a few subway shots.
A year ago much of the system was shut down due to flooding from Superstorm Sandy.
 Again, glad to have my awesome guide Marilyn, it's not hard to get lost below the city.
But we didn't get on one wrong train.

Below some street scene shots



Walking in NYC has a different flavor that any City I have been in. When you are at a corner waiting to get across, red lights don't mean much, but most folks crowd all the way out into the street to wait for the first opportunity to get across.  I felt like if I was not careful someone might nudge me out into the path of a bus. Really, people were quite courteous, just seemed to be in a hurry
New York New York!!  Oh what a town!
The Post office and the Library
Both done in New York City style! 




They wouldn't allow one of these outside of the Sandpoint Library


Inside of the Library



 Normally you have to go to church to see architecture like this.
Hurray for Librarys!







 Time to head back to Jersey City
Here's a landmark even more famous than Home Depot




I got close to Times Square, and a zillion other famous "Big Apple places but I didn't get pictures of those landmarks)


IN CLOSING A SHOT OF ONE OF MY NEW YORK CITY 4 LEGGED BUDDIES
Next stop San Luis Obispo, via Berkeley

1 comment:

  1. Once again, Ken, you got it. You truly touched down in rural & urban from the git-go in Boston, Maine, Little Falls, Sparta, Jersey City, NYC. You smelled the roses and gasped at the Library ceilings, felt the NYC crowd and pace. Thank you for inviting me along. Now for the family wedding & birthday! Love, Chris

    ReplyDelete