Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Ugly

Specifically this has nothing to do with Brigitte, Clara and families, but it does give the context of what is happening around them. 

Below a ink to a video:

PBS News piece on violence in Guatemala

I do have a little story regarding violence here in Guatemala. How I got this story is actually pretty humorous. After dinner one evening, we are struggling to have a little conversation about what I'm going to do when I get home.  Remember, at this time, there's me, who speaks little Spanish and Clara, and Axel and family who speak very little English.   I (feeling pretty proud) explained that I was going to fly to San Diego to see my 92 year old mom who has lived by herself since my dad died several years ago.

Axel explained to me that his mom has also lived alone since his dad died 28 years ago. He also explained that it was not a "bad" thing, because his mother was physically abused by his dad, and after he died (alcohol related) she chose to live alone and wanted to have nothing to do with men.

By the way I was humbled a bit when I learned that Axel's mom is 105 years old, and that she has 11 children -------  Yikes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment